Sunday, October 23, 2011

Let Me Come and Be Still in Your Silence

24" x 48"
Oil and Mixed Media on Canvas
SOLD
Khudairi Collection
Houston, TX

This painting now belongs to a wonderful couple form Houston
who came to visit my studio in Dallas.
















Mr. Khudairi asked me to 
explain the meaning behind the painting, 
specifically, 
what did those words say that were 
barely legible in the background.

As far as the writings, I frequently incorporate the written word into my 
works.
Poetry has really found a unique place in my life.  I collage 
favorite poetry of mine into the background of my pieces.  I've found that 
most of the writings are barely legible in the background, it is a way for me
to give my 
even though 
paintings a "voice", and convey a meaningful, personal message from my soul 
to the viewer, 
a message that is left up to them to interpret. 

Pablo Neruda is my favorite spanish speaking poet, hands down. 
Some of the writings 
in the background come from this poem below, as does the title. 
The rest are pages from my handwritten journals. 
Neruda directs his language so well in this poem, 
making you almost whisper most of it. 
Beautiful. 

I Like for You to be Still
I like for you to be still: it as though you were absent,

and you hear me from far away and my voice does not
                          touch you
It seems as though your eyes had flown away

and it seems that a kiss had sealed your mouth.
As all things are filled with my soul
you emerge from the things, filled with my soul.

You are like my soul, a butterfly of dream,
and you are like the word Melancholy.
I like for you to be still, and you seem far away.

It sounds as though you were lamenting,
 a butterfly cooing like
                          a dove
And you hear me from far away, and my voice does not reach
                          you:
Let me come to be still in your silence.
And let me talk to you with your silence
that is bright as a lamp, 
simple as a ring.

Your are like the night, with its stillness and constellations.

Your silence is that of a star, as remote and candid.
I like for you to be still: it is as though you were absent,

distant and full of sorrow as though you had died.

One word then, one smile, is enough.

And I am happy, happy that it’s not true.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Gina Marie Dunn, Utopia Pkwy. Art Studio's Fan Box

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails