Thursday, March 18, 2010

Thursday's Other Creative Soul: David G. Smith

This week's feature showcases Visual Artist David G. Smith describing his creative journey. His lovely paintings and ceramic sculptures can be seen at Artisan Style Gallery.



"My name is David G Smith. I'm grew up in Iowa, but have lived in Dallas for about 20 years. I went to school at UTD with a Bachelors degree in Finance. My art is very eclectic in all senses ...multiple mediums, multiple subjects and techniques. I usually start my morning taking coffee to my spare bedroom that doubles as an oil painting drying room. I look around at the 10 or more half finished paintings propped up where-ever, and I walk away overwhelmed by the unfinished work and needing to get ready for my day job, which is at Southwest Airlines as a Software Developer. When I return home in the evening, I dive into my art. During this time I virtually lose all sense of reality or time. Before I know it, but hours later I awake from my working trance and go off to bed.

On Sundays I take a ceramics class at Brookhaven Community College, where I’m working on various ceramic sculptures.
Motivation for me is absolutely obtained from the last piece that I did. I'm still learning something new with each piece so new color combinations or technique discoveries start me thinking about the next piece before half finished with my current one. Aside from art my passion is travel and photography which helps tremendously when seeking inspiration. I enjoy experiencing different cultures, people, architecture, natural landscapes. I'm an observer.

I find Facebook a great tool for networking with other artists, also DANG (Dallas Artist Networking Group). I have only started showing publicly for a year now, so I have a lot to learn as far as networking and shows."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gina Marie Dunn, Utopia Pkwy. Art Studio's Fan Box

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails