Thursday, April 1, 2010

Thursday's Other Creative Soul: Roy E. Vance




This week's featured Artist is Roy E. Vance, a talented and very kind soul I have had the pleasure of getting to know through Artisan Style Gallery. In addition to his beautiful large scale abstract works, Roy has been creating some amazing small works on paper, now available on his Etsy site, and is offering free shipping. Check them out at:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/roysart

Name/Location:
Roy E. Vance. I live in Richardson, TX

Education:
Associate Degree in Art & Design

Current City/Hometown:
Born in Berea, OH. Have lived in OH, FL and currently TX.

Tell me about your work in one sentence.
I like to create mixed media abstracts.

Describe your day.
Normal day: Work.Eat.Paint.Sleep.
Ideal Day: Breakfast and brisk walk. Estate Sales from 9-1, grab a lunch, shop for art supplies (or work on an existing piece), Dinner @6 and then off for a night of fun with friends (the theatre, movies, cards)

What are your passions?
Painting, theatre, antiques, nature...enjoying life

What are your goals?
To live comfortably, working in a job that I enjoy and have the time/resources to pursue my art and spend time with my loved ones.

Who are your creative influences?
Robert Rauschenberg for his use of mixed media, textures, Georgia O'Keefe for her wonderful floral abstractions and depth of color

Are there any other relevant experiences that shaped who you are today and what you do?
I have learned that happiness comes from within. It should not be based on external criteria such as people, places or things. All of those external factors can come & go...but you will always have "you". Sure, you can surround yourself with friends, nice things and a cushy job...but what happens when that all disappears? My first and second experiences with corporate downsizing taught me that lesson.



My second experience/life lesson is to always make time for loved ones. I think of missed birthdays, dinners, fun get togethers...no longer available when the loved one has passed on. It's even more tragic when your job has passed on as well.

Is there anyone (celebrity, dead, alive, in your life) that you really look up to as an inspiration? Anyone who has overcome obstacles (physical, financial, educational) and then become successful. Every year my grandma (who also inspires me) sends me a calendar from the Foot/Mouth Painters Assoc....I find it inspiring to see the talent from theses individuals who have overcome their challenges to pursue their artistc dreams.

What motivates you on a daily basis? I am a big fan of finding joy in the little things in life...like getting a bunch of green lights on the way to work. I also get a lot of inspiration from nature and daily events. For example, my inspiration for my painting "Metaphor for Mosaic Mountian": Mountains can be viewed as immovable obstacles or as a challenge to overcome. There are those who refuse to even start a journey because a mountain might be in their path. There are others who will bravely take on the mountain and then go look for the next one to conquer. How do you perceive mountains?

Do you have a "guilty pleasure" that you can't miss out on to get you going?
Coffee, chocolate and gooey pastries.

What's your working style?
Sporadic. Sometimes I will work 4 or 5 hours at a time if I have multiple canvases going at once. If I'm working on only 1 piece, I have to take breaks between "drying time" between layers of color, texture etc.

What are your websites/social networking links? http://www.yessy.com/roysart
Facebook; http://www.723.com/roysart/gallery, MySpace, Twitter, OvationTV

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gina Marie Dunn, Utopia Pkwy. Art Studio's Fan Box

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails