Thursday, April 22, 2010

Thursday's Other Creative Soul: Scott Trent





Today's feature highlights Sculptor Scott Trent, whose passion for his own work as well as creating a platform that helps artists pursue their passions is inspiring and refreshing.

Name
Scott Trent

Education
MA – UTD, Arts & Technology, ABD, PhD. – UTD, Arts & Technology, with an emphasis in “Digital media based design that facilitates collaboration.”

Current City/Hometown
Dallas/Richardson

Tell me about your work in one sentence.
I am a metal sculptor, creating large and small scale work utilizing found metal, abstract. The project I am most excited about these days is the Henderson Art Project. I approach everything I do as a creation and the process is similar whether welding a metal sculpture or designing an event.

Describe your normal day. What would your *ideal* day be like?
I am passionate about my work and try to focus on meaningful, fulfilling, creative endeavors that stimulate my mind and pushes me physically. My day usually begins around 6 am, I’ve found a nice routine that begins the day working out, which might be running slow laps around the track or reading on the elliptical machine and days full of meetings with artists, business owners and community leaders who are making things happen in the art community. I love the conversations and the new opportunities that surface daily. In between are the details and logistics work that facilitate collaborative events. I seek activities that engage both sides of my brain.



What are your passions?
Communication, Creating, Competitive Sports (handball/squash), Design and sculpting. Teaching and nurturing others is also very important to me.

What are your goals?
To create a platform that helps artists pursue their passions. www.artistconsortium.org, www.hendersonartproject.com
As an artist my goal is to continue to create a body of work that explores the depths of my creativity. I can’t wait to see what this looks like in the years to come.

Who are your creative influences?
Muhammad Yunus, Gordon MacKenzie, Ira Glass, Dean Kamen

Are there any other relevant experiences that shaped who you are today and what you do?
I believe the most influential experience in my life was my parents allowing me to express myself and encouraging me to think differently. This has been my most valued perspective that guides everything I do. I find it’s not about intelligence, but the ability to look at life differently and be able to consider all perspectives. It seems that most limitations are self imposed which can directly inhibit creativity.

Is there anyone that you really look up to as an inspiration?
I admire people who have a vision and can make it happen. Look for ways to overcome obstacles when the consensus is “NO.” Embraces unique thinking and appreciates creative ideas. But, maybe most important are those who can articulate their visions so others understand and are inspired to collaborate. I haven’t figured it out, but strive for this daily.

What motivates you on a daily basis?
I am happiest when I have a goal or project to work towards. The busier the better. My guilty pleasure will always be some form of food with sugar and fat. I love McDonalds, but primarily because of the efficiency and quickness of the food. It’s most difficult for me to eat healthy when I’m pushing myself work wise. Metal sculpting can be heavy lifting, hot and dirty. Nothing better than a burger, fries and a coke. (Of course, that was 30 pounds ago, so this summer the turkey sandwich and sparkling water might have to be the new “fast food.”)

What's your working style?
No breaks. Usually, all out. Up early and to bed early. Best time of the day is morning.

What are your websites/social networking links?
Facebook: Scott Trent, Henderson Art Project
Twitter: strent
Flickr: Scott Trent
www.hendersonartproject.com
www.scottrent.com
www.utdbox.com

2 comments:

  1. Gina Marie, Thank you very much for this blog and your effort to give us, the artist, quality exposure. Your site is beautiful. Thank you for allowing me to be a small part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so welcome! I appreciate your comment.

    ReplyDelete

Gina Marie Dunn, Utopia Pkwy. Art Studio's Fan Box

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails