Thursday, May 5, 2011

Thursday's Other Creative Soul: Frankie Garcia

As a creative person myself, it fascinates me to learn how other like-minded souls tick. Thanks for joining me today to get to know Artist, Creative Director and Arts Advocate Frankie Garcia III.  Frankie is dedicated to bringing unity to the Arts Community in Dallas.  Having had the pleasure to collaborate with him on a few projects, I can also attest that he's a genuine, likable person who also happens to be on top of his game.


Frankie recently partnered with Rising Gallery and they moved to 800 Jackson 75202 Downtown Dallas.  Their next exhibition is tomorrow... "between the mattress and the wall" from 7-10pm .  FGIIIArt will be hosting the ROSS vs ROSS closing reception May 10th 5-8pm.


















Name/Location  
FGIIIArt 800 Jackson, Dallas 75202


Education  
self-taught

Current City/Hometown:
Dallas/ Oak Cliff


Tell me about your work. 
PAINTING - My style is abstract constructivism. I use numerous elements in my work: canvas, metals, wood, paper, mixed media, and an array of industrial hardware. My art work incorporates strong lines and bold colors with the use of geometric shapes and circles of union which work together to create my signature visual experience.


FGIIIArt - is an umbrella organization dedicated to bringing unity within the Dallas arts as well as instilling purpose and vision into the work of the individual artist.  FGIIIArt brings awareness to what is already taking place in our art community, everyday, within the various art collectives that already exist.  Without seeking membership, FGIIIArt strives to be a community hub which serves as an earpiece and mouthpiece for the artists in Dallas as a whole.  By providing education and guidance, pooling our collective resources, and stressing the need for community, FGIIIArt works to strengthen and empower the individual artists in OUR city.

Describe your normal day. 
I get up around 7am and workout... after workout, breakfast... I'm online from about 9-11am working FGIIIArt... then lunch... from 12-5pm I'm at Rising Gallery... then dinner... from about 8-midnight, I'm painting and on-line working FGIIIArt simultaneously... Monday-Friday.  lot's of coffee...

What would your *ideal* day be like?
painting and creating/building all day... reading/educating myself... staying healthy... if it paid the bills.

What are your passions?
painting, being an advocate for the arts, educating myself and giving back to my community 



What are your goals? 
someday have a working/living/studio/gallery space that influences/stimulates creative growth throughout my community

What are your creative influences?
The graffiti movement happening now... really, all things creative... I'm a huge history buff about Peggy Guggenheims abstract expressionist movement

Are there any other relevant experiences that shaped who you are today and what you do?
I once had the privilege to create works on canvas (7'x10') with children from the Boy's and Girl's Club... working with and watching those kids paint/draw with such ease... never stopping to consider or over analyze their next stroke stayed with me and permanently influenced my creative freedom.

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." 
Pablo Picasso




Is there anyone who you really look up to as an inspiration?
Willem de Kooning

What motivates you on a daily basis? 
Knowing that I'm very fortunate to be able to make a living with my creative abilities

Do you have a guilty pleasure that you can't miss out on to get you going?
I play hip hop music and lip sing/karaoke and dance while I paint... that's all I'm saying

What's your working style? Do you work for 12 hours straight nonstop, or do you take lots of breaks?
When I paint I have the music going and I'm in it... however long it takes to complete it... of course there's dry time... with my process sometimes dry time takes days... I usually know what I want the finished piece to reflect so I work it to achieve it with passion and excitement.

''I am a night painter, so when I come into the studio the next morning the delirium is over. I come into the studio very fearfully, I creep in to see what happened the night before. And the feeling is one of, "My God, did I do that?" 
Damien Hirst

What are your websites/social networking links?
FRANKIE GARCIA III





Artist - Creative Director - Arts Advocate
www.facebook.com/FGIIIArt
469.774.8936

RISING
www.RISINGgallery.com 800 Jackson Street




Dallas 75202



Sidebar: Frankie's auto-signature on his email ends with the following quote: 
Draw a line. Now...Live above it...Paint outside of it...Dance on the edge of it...and refuse to be Confined by it! LIVE OUT LOUD!!!  
How's that for inspiration?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Gina Marie Dunn, Utopia Pkwy. Art Studio's Fan Box

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails