Saturday, March 5, 2011

Another Creative Soul: Jocelynn Schneider

As a creative person myself, I find it fascinating to learn what makes other like-minded people tick.  Thanks for joining me today as we get to know Cleveland, OH-based Photographer Jocelynn Schneider. Her no-frills, natural light approach is gorgeous.  Here, in her own words, she tells us how she sets the table for her muse....

I Studied Visual Communication Design and Photography at Kent State University. Currently continuing my studies in Art & Graphic Design at Cleveland State University. And, of course, my life experiences have educated me even more than any schooling ever could. 

My "normal" day includes either going to work as an activities leader at a nursing home...or going to school at CSU as an art student. It also includes lots of social media and text messaging, I'm addicted. My "ideal" day would be full of free time, creativity, success, people that I love to be around, and sunshine. 

Passions. Hard question! I'm still figuring that out but...my passions are people who do big things. I love hearing people's stories, how they overcame the obstacles in their lives and what they do day in and day out to make it work. I'm also passionate about food and cooking. Cooking is seriously a spiritual experience for me. No matter what cards my day may have dealt me, if I can get home and cook a great meal, I'm happy. I love photography - showing others how I see them; making the mundane glorious. Typography. Antique books. Yoga. Oh, yoga. See my blog post about it at nichecreative.tumblr.com. Food. Wine. Just let me eat, drink, and be merry. 

Goals! One of my goals is to be more goal oriented. :-) Seriously, though...I'm trying to organize my life. To pay attention to the things I really want and the things that really define me. Things in my life could range from items in my wardrobe to my free time, to the people I spend my time with. I'm trying to get my priorities straight and surround myself with big ideas, action and positivity. 

My creative influences are definitely Audrey Hepburn, and Martin Luther King Jr. They are high and lofty in the creative sphere to me. Diane Arbus. I love her photography. I am also wild about the work of Noa Azoulay-Sclater who founded Feather Love Photography, check her out at http://featherlove.com/. Oooh, and Tara Gentile at Scoutie Girl. Her blog is chock full of inspiration and creative business savvy - http://www.scoutiegirl.com/. Last but not least, there's a recording studio in Cleveland run by a friend of mine. The raw creativity and edge of this place gives me the chills and constantly reminds me that with hard work and diligence, your dreams can become reality. Check them out at www.badracket.com

I've had a lot of childhood experiences that have shaped who I am. Delightful things and really difficult things. I think the most creative time of my life was spending my summer in my grandfather's woods and gardens. There was so much imaginative play and fresh vegetable eating. You can't go wrong with either. 

Influences - Audrey Hepburn. As I mentioned before. She's such a classy lady, you can't help but want to be like her! There's really no explanation needed here. I also love old musicians such as Otis Redding and Billie Holiday.

Some experiences that have shaped me are my exposure to typography and letterpress work at Kent State. It was like I entered this nerdy world that I would never escape. When I meet someone else who is equally enthralled with the curve of an 'a', the hook of a 'y', serifs and sans serifs, kerning and tracking...I am on cloud nine and could talk for hours. The typographers that produced the characters that we use to express our language day in and day out are truly unsung heroes. 

When it comes to my "muse" or "guilty pleasure", I'd have to say it's social media. Particularly Twitter. I love to see what others are doing creatively and I love to share it.  Tweet, tweet, retweet. I also really love watching Glee. 

My working style. Well, I'm totally sporadic. One day, you might find me plugging away for twelve hours straight. Another day, I'm useless and lazy. And another day I am off an on. It really just depends. I must admit, I am very ruled by my moods, feelings and emotions. This is a strength and a weakness!

My official website for my photography is  http://www.jocelynnhunter.com. I'll be sure to let Gina know as soon as it's up! You can find me on Twitter @ohjocelynn, on Facebook @http://www.facebook.com/jocelynn.schneider and my blog...of course, my blog...http://nichecreative.tumblr.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gina Marie Dunn, Utopia Pkwy. Art Studio's Fan Box

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails