Sunday, April 10, 2011

Newly Commissioned Painting, "The Testimony Tree"

30" x 40" x 1.5"
Acrylic and Mixed Media on Canvas

I am in love with this painting on so many levels. I am extremely happy with how it turned out. Secondly, I got to create it for a family that has had a very special place in my heart for most of my life.

But the most special thing to me about this piece is the story behind it....

Sherry contacted me because she was looking for a meaningful present for her daughter Natalie's 25th b-day. This was a big birthday for Natalie, and she wanted to give her  something that would begin her list of collectibles, of "haves", of things that she could save and one day pass along when she has a family of her own.

Back in 2003 when Natalie was in high school, she had written her mom a very meaningful letter. This letter was so special that Sherry had saved it over the years and turned to it nearly every day for comfort, reassurance and a testimony to the fact she had done a "good job" raising Natalie to grow into a mature and beautiful person.  Still in its original frame from 2003, the letter was looking a little aged, the frame was starting to come unhinged, and Sherry wanted a way to honor the letter and the beautiful words it contained while preserving it in a way that would become a fairly heirloom that could be passed down to Natalie when she is ready to have it.  

Sherry visited my website and saw my abstract cherry blossoms and how I often incorporate text into my work and asked me to create something along these lines showcasing the text of Natalie's letter.  



This painting felt like such a collaborative effort between me and Natalie I even placed the signature of her letter and my signature of the painting together at the bottom right corner.


This painting will hang in Sherry's living room until Natalie is ready to have it in her own home.  Sherry thought of the title and I couldn't have come up with a better one myself.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Gina Marie Dunn, Utopia Pkwy. Art Studio's Fan Box

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails