Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Teach the Children Well


I think one of the greatest compliments I ever received was being told I am naturally good with children. For the past six years, it is my love of working with them combined with my passion for art that has called me to teach. I have had the pleasure of encountering so many wonderful students and their families through my years of teaching at the Dallas Museum of Art, Art Stop in Preston Center and offering private lessons at my home studio.

This Fall marks my return to teaching children's art regularly. I took some time off while my third and youngest was born and I adjusted to life with three small children.  This time also enabled me to focus more on my own painting, and now as life starts to settle a bit I am working to find a way to incorporate both into my regular routine.  It is so much fun to be able to tell the kids I work with that I am a "real" artist, they love to hear about my gallery shows, and what it's like to work in a studio and sell paintings.  They love asking me how much money I make--their candor always makes me laugh.

Although I used to teach nearly full-time, I am only taking on one regular class this Fall at Art Stop (Mondays from 3:45 - 4:45). I am so grateful to Kathleen Alexander, Art Stop's Owner, for allowing me to return to something I love and, best of all, bring my 4.5 year-ols to the class with me and expose her to the magic of Art Stop.  Kathleen is like a second mom, a mentor and a dear friend all rolled into one.  In Art Stop she has created a haven of creativity for these kids. (That's us up there in the picture, teaching the kids together. Selfishly, I find this time to be so much fun...I can't believe that I get paid for it.)

Private lessons and camps will come later. My head is teeming with ideas on ways to reach out to kiddos but I have to put my own young ones first right now.  Until then, I am thrilled to be back in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gina Marie Dunn, Utopia Pkwy. Art Studio's Fan Box

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails