Saturday, October 2, 2010

New Painting, "Always Ourselves We Find in the Sea"

"Always Ourselves We Find in the Sea"
30" x 40"
Oil and Mixed Media on Canvas
SOLD


This piece was commissioned by a Collector who liked my painting, "On Golden Waves" (below), but wanted something with a similar color scheme to fit her dimensions.  Some artists hate working on commissions; I love them. I enjoy the challenge of getting an idea form someone and incorporating their essence, spirit and purpose in the painting. When working on a commissioned piece I am never alone; I without getting too existential I feel like I'm taking a journey with someone and they stay in my head until the painting is finished. By the way, the below painting is 24" x 36" and still available for sale. It's currently on display at the Blues Jean Bar in Snider Plaza.



The title "Always Ourselves We Find in the Sea" was inspired by one of my favorite e.e. cummings poem of the same name.  His poetry is so soothing to me.

maggie and millie and molly and may
went down to the beach (to play one day)

and maggie discovered a shell that sang
so sweetly she couldn't remember her troubles,and

millie befriended a stranded star
whose rays five languid fingers were;

and molly was chased by a horrible thing
which raced sideways while blowing bubbles:and

may came home with a smooth round stone
as small as a world and as large as alone.

For whatever we lose (like a you or a me)
it's always ourselves we find in the sea.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Gina Marie Dunn, Utopia Pkwy. Art Studio's Fan Box

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails