Thursday, October 7, 2010

Thursday's Other Creative Soul: Judith Joseph

As a creative person myself, I am fascinated with what makes other like-minded types tick. Thanks for joining me today as I share an interview with Chicago-based visual Artist Judith Joseph.



Name/Location
Judith Joseph, Chicago, Illinois

Education
University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.S. Art

Current City/Hometown
Northbrook, Illinois

Describe your normal day.
Normal day:  I wake up at 7:30.  I have a leisurely morning, answering/sending emails.  I get to work in my studio by 10:30 or 11:00.  I usually paint for 4-6 hours per day (unless I teach a painting class).  In the evening, I look for show opportunities online and work on grant or show applications.
Ideal Day:  Wake up (in a house in the woods).  Go for a swim in a pristine lake, paint until I can’t see straight, have another swim and a beer, barbecue dinner, hang out with family and friends, watch a meteor shower.

What are your passions?
My family,  friends and dog, painting, opera, being in the woods.
Who are your creative influences?
I love illuminated manuscripts and folk art

Are there any other relevant experiences that shaped who you are today and what you do?
I like a challenge.  I have to work for a living, and that has pushed me to try lots of things in order to earn money, which has enlarged my artistic repertoire.

Is there anyone  that you really look up to as an inspiration?
Georgia O’Keeffe for her work ethic; Picasso for his intense creativity and willingness to work in many media; and many, many unknown but very talented artists I have met who plug away at their work with discipline, creativity and dedication.

What motivates you on a daily basis?  
I do a lot of different things:  painting, commissioned works, teaching, writing and working on my interactive installation art.  I build in time to switch things around so that if I don’t feel like working on one thing, I do something else.  My “guilty pleasure” is a.m. talk radio while I work—not the Rush Limbaugh types (heaven forbid!), but local djs who provide funny, mostly mindless chatter that keeps me company while I work.  Also, I listen to Cubs or Blackhawks games, depending on the season.



What are your websites/social networking links?
Website:  http://www.judithjosephstudio.com
Facebook:  http://artist.to/theowingproject/
Blog:  http://ketuba.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gina Marie Dunn, Utopia Pkwy. Art Studio's Fan Box

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails