Thursday, October 14, 2010

Thursday's Other Creative Soul: Deborah Mori

A s a creative person myself, I am fascinated with what makes other like-minded types tick. Thanks for joining me today as I share an interview with California-based Artist, Graphic Designer and lovely soul Deborah Mori.
                                                  



Name/Location
Deborah Mori / San Diego, CA

Education
BA of Arts with graphic design emphasis

Describe your work in one sentence.
I am a graphic designer, painter, illustrator, writer, photographer who is curious by nature, kind at heart & grateful for every single day, and hopefully that is reflected in all my work.

Describe your normal day.
Ha, normal day... get up at 5:30, walk 4-5 miles, take kid to school, run errands, paint something or draw on the computer, pick up kid from school, spend time with kid and husband, finish any creative work after family goes to bed. My ideal day would be get up early, walk 5 miles, paint something or draw something on the computer, go out to lunch with friends, spend time with kid, go out for dinner and see an art exhibit.

What are your passions including, but not limited to, your work?
I love to read, walk, exercise, care for my animals, travel, try new restaurants, paint and draw, see new art, cruise blogs, drink coffee, discuss books and art with other creatives, look at kid's books and art, listen to music and drive.

 What are your goals?
My goals are simple really. I'd like to live long enough to see my son have his own children, always be able to create something, write a book, and find joy in the little things.

Who are your creative influences?
Edward Hopper, Frida Kahlo, Gauguin for the famous ones and I absolutely love other creative moms I find through blogging.

Are there any other relevant experiences that shaped who you are today and what you do?
My high school teacher, Mrs. Lothian, was an incredibly supportive influence and she is one of the reasons I became an artist. My twin sister, who died last year, has also been one of my art support systems as we would create things together.

How do you set the table for your muse?
I just get out my supplies and hope she shows up. Books help a lot too.

What motivates you on a daily basis?
I am going through a little bit of a creative slump at the moment since my sister died but I can see myself slowly reaching up and out. The daily motivation that has helped pull me through the slump is my daily posts I make on my blog. When I started it 3 years ago, I made the commitment to post daily and to make an illustration every single day. It was a project to refine my illustration style and has grown into so much more. My little blog www.lifewithoutnovacaine.blogspot.com would have to be my biggest motivator.

What's your working style? 
I usually work in large chunks of time, especially when I am in a creative groove. If I find myself taking lots of breaks, I know I am not that centered or focused so sometimes it's better to go away and come back later. When I paint, I use acrylics and they dry fast so I like to really have a plan and be motivated. I rarely paint without knowing what I am going to do first.

2 comments:

Gina Marie Dunn, Utopia Pkwy. Art Studio's Fan Box

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails