Saturday, December 10, 2011

Tonight: Working from Yourself, For Everybody Else

 The Texas Equal Access Fund, in collaboration with Smoke & Mirrors Art Gallery and Info Shop, proudly presents:

Working From Yourself, For Everybody Else: An Exhibition of Women Artists

Opening Event: December 10, 6-10 p.m.
Closing Date: January 8, 2012
100% of the Proceeds will go to benefit the Texas Equal Access Fund and their struggle to make reproductive justice a reality for North Texas Women




LETTER TO A YOUNG FEMALE ARTIST, March 6, 1974
“I’m sorry this has to be so short, because I have a lot I’d like to talk about with you, but try to read between the lines. I hope you’re angry but get it over with fast and use it while you’ve got it. I hope you don’t stop being angry now and then until things are better for all women, not just artists; I hope you’re working from yourself and know how to fuck the art-world pressures when you get out there; and I hope you’re working for everybody else too; I hope you’ll be the one to figure out a way to keep art from being used the wrong way and for the wrong things in this society; I hope you make your art accessible to more people, to all women and to everybody; I hope you think about that now and aren’t waiting till you make it, because that’s likely to be too late. I hope you remember that being a feminist carries with it a real responsibility to be a human. I hope and I hope and I hope…”

*Reprinted from 'Anonymous Was A Woman', Feminist Art Program, California Institute of the Arts, Valencia, California, 1974*


Here's a shot of the painting I donated:

"In this Uncharted Journey, I Somehow Knew Our Paths Would Cross"
11 x 14"

Oil and Mixed Media on Canvas

I hope to see you there.

About Smoke & Mirrors Art Gallery and Info Shop

Smoke & Mirrors is an exciting new community space where local artists can sell and promote their artwork in a retail environment while also supporting a community Info Shop that is open to host numerous progressive community and student groups, their events, and projects. Offering meeting space, computers, free Wi-Fi, sharing boards, reference materials, etc. Artists, as well as organizers, can utilize the space to create, promote, organize, plan, and collaborate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gina Marie Dunn, Utopia Pkwy. Art Studio's Fan Box

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails