Thursday, November 5, 2009

Angels and Strangers


12" x 24"
Acrylic and Mixed Media on Canvas

People have been asking me what the birch trees mean, what they represent. The forests are symbolic of a journey to me--one I have yet to finish. I love painting birch trees because they convey a simultaneous strength and frailty that I can identify with...any given day I experience both of these feelings multiple times. It's important to be strong for those who rely on me, yet at the same time it makes me feel very small to know we are at the mercy of powers much greater than us.

My daughter and son were playing outside as I was finishing this painting, a very intricate little pretend game that I could only hear glimpses of as they ran past the studio laughing and imagining. When I asked my daughter what they were playing, she said "Angels and Strangers". I have never heard her mention this game before, but something about the name struck me and at that moment I knew I had a title for this painting.

In a sense, angels and strangers are in my tree paintings. People we know and love, people who protect us, people we have yet to meet on this journey through life linger in the forests. From the mouths of babes...thanks to my lovely daughter for helping me understand the meaning behind the images I can't get out of my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gina Marie Dunn, Utopia Pkwy. Art Studio's Fan Box

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails